Here's a project I did a few years ago. Most kids really enjoyed the project but it did take far too long for some to finish. I'm not sure I'd do it again as a whole group project but I would make it available as a center idea. The reason I wouldn't repeat this whole group is due to the time it takes to complete the entire project. It took several days from start to finish and in some cases, it took 4 class periods. Maybe if I let the kids use markers instead of paint the process would speed up. Also, it may look nicer in a 9x9 or 10x10 paper.
Steps we followed:
1. Using a ruler and a pencil (drawing lightly), divide the paper into 6 parts (as per example)
2. Students center their name (using pencil) in block lettering.
3. Outline in black marker.
4. Color each section as a color wheel.
5. Color those parts of the letters that fall within the boundaries of a color wheel section the appropriate complementary color.
6. Re-outline using black marker if necessary.
7, Mount on construction paper.
I'm not sure where I got this idea. Likely I found it on the Internet. Here are three more examples.